Valerie L. May
Valerie L. May, the founder of May Law Group, graduated with honors from both Chatham College and the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. She was a member of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law Law Review and is admitted to the bars of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, the Western District of Pennsylvania, and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. Ms. May has been interviewed by many media sources as an authority on immigration law, including the New York Times, Associated Press, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, KDKA Radio, and Fox Radio. She has served on the board of numerous civic and charitable organizations such as the American Cancer Society, Pittsburgh Ballet Theater, Family House, and the Make-a-Wish Foundation. She has been active in the parent groups of Shady Side Academy and Yale University. She has been selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by her peers. This honor is limited to the top five percent of attorneys in Pennsylvania.
Ms .May has extensive experience in employment based immigration. She has broad experience filing I-140 petitions. Many of the employment based petitions she has filed involved complex business immigration issues such as corporate mergers and acquisitions. Ms. May has also successfully filed numerous labor substitution cases that have been approved. She has a very high approval rating for I-140 Petitions. She has represented major corporations and handled all aspects of their business immigration cases. Ms. May recently headed an I-9 audit team for a multinational corporation and counsel's corporate clients on H-1B compliance issues and employer sanctions.
Ms. May represents individuals in alien of extraordinary ability, outstanding professor and researcher, and multinational executive and manager petitions filed in the EB-1 category. She also files national interest waivers for physicians and those individuals whose work benefits the United States as a whole.
She has represented individuals and their families in all aspects of family based immigration cases. Her practice includes naturalization, and visas for physicians and healthcare workers.
Ms. May has traveled extensively in Asia, particularly Korea and Hong Kong, and developed many contacts in the international and United States immigration community.
She has served on the boards of numerous charities and civic organizations including the American Cancer Society, Make-A-Wish Foundation, Pittsburgh Ballet Theater and Family House. Ms. May is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the Allegheny County Bar Association Immigration Lawyers Committee. She is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, the United States Federal Court for the Western District Court of Pennsylvania, and the United States Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
* Similar results cannot be guaranteed due to variations in the facts of each case.
Areas of Practice
- Immigration & Naturalization Law
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Honors: With Honors
- Chatham College, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Honors: Departmental Honors
Honors and Awards
- Pennsylvania SuperLawyers Immigration Law, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Member
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member, Immigration Lawyers Committee
- American Cancer Society, Former Member Board of Directors
- American Cancer Society, Former Treasurer
- Make-A-Wish Foundation, Former Member Board of Directors
- Pittsburgh Ballet Theater, Former Member Board of Directors
- Family House, Former Member Board of Directors